Thursday, October 22, 2009

Venison



I drove up into the La Sal Mountains this morning, arriving at dawn. I hiked about 2 miles stillhunting up through the scrub oak and aspens. I jumped a bunch of does but wasn't seeing any bucks. I passed through a big alpine meadow and worked my way up the edge of a shallow draw. I saw a flash of something to my left going up the draw parallel with me through the trees. There was a clearing ahead, so I ran up to it and waited about 5 seconds for the deer to step into the 10 foot wide clearing. He stopped to look at me in the clearing. We were about 60 yards from each other. I could see he was a pretty nice buck, so I took him with one shot at about 9:30am. An hour to field dress him and bone out the meat, and then I loaded the entire animal and daypack on my packframe. Took me an hour to hike back to the truck. Conveniently, a 4-wheeler track was only 200 yards away, so I used that to get almost all the way back to my truck.

4 comments:

The Real Jim Heywood said...

Woohoo! You must have set some kind record this year for fewest minutes used to harvest two animals in two different hunts in two different locations. Congrats.

Bryan & Bobbie said...

Nice buck! Great story, one of these days I need to come on a hunt with you guys. This has been a good year for the Utah Heywood hunts.

Anonymous said...

Ka-chang!

Chris Andrew said...

Dude, you need to post your video of the hunt. LOL!